Crown Castle and Everynet, a provider of Internet of Things (IoT) connectivity services, today announced the expansion of Everynet’s national LoRaWAN IoT network in the United States by using Crown Castle’s tower infrastructure. The LoRaWAN specification is a Low Power, Wide Area (LPWA) networking protocol which wirelessly connects IoT devices to the internet.
LoRaWAN Internet of Things (IoT) Network – Everynet
Phase 1 of Everynet’s United States network roll-out includes 36 of the nation’s most significant metropolitan areas. Specifically, the network is expected to go live by the end of 2021.
Everynet’s initial 36 cities have been grouped into five regions across the United States:
- Northeast: Baltimore, Boston, New York City, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Washington, D.C.
- Southeast: Atlanta, Charlotte, Miami, Nashville, Orlando, Tampa
- Midwest: Chicago, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Columbus, Detroit, Indianapolis, Kansas City, Minneapolis, St. Louis
- Southwest: Austin, Dallas, Houston, San Antonio
- West: Denver, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Phoenix, Portland, Riverside (California), Sacramento, San Diego, San Francisco, San Jose, Seattle
Digital Infrastructure – Everynet and Crown Castle
To build-out its LoRaWAN IoT connectivity, Everynet signed a 15-year commitment to utilize Crown Castle’s tower assets throughout the United States.
As of Q1 2021, Crown Castle had a total of 40.1k towers in the United States, which could support the long-term build-out of this network. However, Everynet’s initial deployments will likely leverage Crown Castle’s towers in the 36 metropolitan areas listed above.
Rationale for Crown Castle
Crown Castle notes that one of the growth drivers for its business are new use cases for wireless communications, including the deployment of the Internet of Things. Indeed, IoT ties-in with the company’s strategy to participate in the broader connectivity ecosystem, which includes fiber and small cells.
Additionally, Crown Castle is not the first major tower company to partner with Everynet. Specifically, Cellnex and Everynet are rolling-out new IoT networks in Italy, the UK, and Ireland on Cellnex’s tower infrastructure.
Everynet – Overview
Everynet is a provider of Low Power, Wide Area Network (LPWAN) technology globally, with its network processing billions of messages. Also, similar to Crown Castle, Everynet is a neutral-host that provides shared infrastructure access for its customers.
Beyond the United States, Everynet’s networks are live in Brazil, Indonesia, Spain, the UK, Italy, Puerto Rico, Ireland, and Iceland.
Everynet enables wireless carriers, mobile virtual network operators (MVNOs), application service providers (ASPs), managed service providers (MSPs), and internet service providers (ISPs) to offer highly-reliable Low Power, Wide Area (LPWA) IoT services to their customers.
Importantly, Everynet’s low-cost networks also enable nationwide coverage, no capital expenditures, and turn-key execution for these wholesale customers.
Finally, Everynet’s network will enable more IoT applications and use cases for industries including utilities, supply chain logistics, and smart infrastructure:
- Utilities: remotely monitor, maintain, and gather overall data on – water systems, substations, smart grids, transformers, liquefied petroleum gas, and residential & commercial metering
- Supply Chain Logistics: tracking (geolocation) and monitoring assets such as pallets, containers, and goods
- Smart Infrastructure: check air quality and monitor status of overall buildings and infrastructure – including lighting, HVAC, water utilization, and carbon dioxide