NTT Global Data Centers (GDC), the third largest carrier-neutral data center operator globally, today announced that it has expanded its partnership with Tokyo Century, a financial services company in Japan, to develop a new hyperscale data center in the Navi Mumbai area of India, which will be named NAV2. Specifically, NTT and Tokyo Century will each own 50% of the equity in the NTT Global Data Centers NAV2 Private Limited entity.

NTT GDC and Tokyo Century Investment Partnerships

Presently, NTT GDC and Tokyo Century are jointly developing hyperscale data centers in Mumbai and Navi Mumbai, India. Notably, these projects represent the first ventures for NTT GDC which utilize external funding.

NTT Global Data Centers GDC India Coverage Map

While Mumbai benefits from strong demand as India’s financial capital, data center operators are developing sites further inland, in Navi Mumbai, where acquisitions of sizable land parcels are available at lower valuations.

NAV2 Data Center – Navi Mumbai, India – NTT GDC, Tokyo Century

Initially, NTT GDC and Tokyo Century will construct two buildings at the Navi Mumbai, India site. Ultimately, the companies envision the potential to develop up to 13 data centers on this campus. Additionally, both companies will jointly operate the NAV2 facility.

NTT previously disclosed that four new hyperscale data centers will become operational over the next 18 months in India. Collectively, these four facilities will add 133 megawatts of critical IT load and 538k sqft (50k sqm) of floor space. Of the four data centers, NTT is adding two facilities in Navi Mumbai, one in Chennai, and one in Delhi.

Mumbai 8 Data Center – Mumbai, India – NTT GDC, Tokyo Century

In June 2021, NTT GDC and Tokyo Century partnered to develop a new data center in Mumbai, India, which will be named Mumbai 8. Through this partnership, Tokyo Century owns 75% of the equity and NTT controls the remaining 25% in the NTT Global Data Centers Holding BOM8 Private Limited entity.

NTT GDC’s Mumbai 8 will be a 9-story data center located near Mumbai’s international airport. Overall, this facility will comprise 24 megawatts of critical IT load across total building area of 310k+ sqft (29k sqm).

Mumbai 8 will serve hyperscale companies (e.g., cloud service providers) and will be ready for service in February 2022.

Tokyo Century – Data Center Investments

In February 2020, NTT acquired a 10% stake in Tokyo Century, initiating the collaboration between the two companies. Tokyo Century notes that it expects to invest “tens of billions of yen” (equivalent to hundreds of millions of U.S. dollars) over time in the India data center market.

Northern Virginia Data Center

Beyond data centers in India, Tokyo Century also invested alongside Mitsubishi Estate in TA Realty’s data center fund. Specifically, TA Realty is developing a new $1.8bn, 300-megawatt data center campus in Leesburg, Virginia, part of Loudoun County.

Mary Zhang covers Data Centers for Dgtl Infra, including Equinix (NASDAQ: EQIX), Digital Realty (NYSE: DLR), CyrusOne, CoreSite Realty, QTS Realty, Switch Inc, Iron Mountain (NYSE: IRM), Cyxtera (NASDAQ: CYXT), and many more. Within Data Centers, Mary focuses on the sub-sectors of hyperscale, enterprise / colocation, cloud service providers, and edge computing. Mary has over 5 years of experience in research and writing for Data Centers.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here