Proximity Data Centres, a UK edge colocation data center operator backed by the real estate division of Intermediate Capital Group (ICG), today announced the acquisition of an 89.0k sqft data center, offering 7 megawatts / 2.0k racks of power capacity, located in Swindon, a town in southwest England. Additionally, the company notes that the Swindon facility, which it will rename Edge 7 Swindon, can scale to 14 megawatts of power capacity.
Notably, in February 2020, ICG made a £25m loan to Proximity Data Centres from its £929m ICG-Longbow UK Real Estate Debt Investments V fund. This funding commitment is supporting Proximity’s £80m plan to roll-out 20 edge data centers in the UK.
Edge 7 Swindon – Proximity Data Centres
Proximity Data Centres’ Edge 7 Swindon facility is located at 11C Broadmoor Road South, South Marston, Swindon. Prior to Proximity’s acquisition, the facility was occupied by consulting company, Capgemini, as its Merlin Swindon ‘sustainable’ data center.
The site comprises a large industrial unit that occupies a corner plot within South Marston Industrial Estate.
Edge 7 Swindon sits ~75 miles (120 kilometers), west of London, positioning it along key fiber routes from London to Ireland. Furthermore, Edge 7 Swindon will serve businesses along and near the M4 corridor, which stretches from London to South Wales.
Additionally, Edge 7 Swindon is positioned ~25 miles (40 kilometers) from the Harwell Science & Innovation Campus in Oxfordshire, England. Particularly, this science and technology campus houses a number of biotech, genomics, and space technology research organizations.
Proximity Data Centres – UK Edge Data Centers
Proximity Data Centres is deploying a network of 20 edge data centers across the UK, within the next 12 months. Presently, the company operates 7 facilities in Nottingham, Wakefield, Bridgend, Chester, Liverpool, Rugby, and Swindon.
Overall, Proximity Data Centres’ 7 existing facilities comprise 22.8 megawatts of available IT load across 218k sqft of net technical area.
Below are Proximity Data Centres’ six facilities beyond Edge 7 Swindon:
- Nottingham: Edge 1 Nottingham offers 4.0 megawatts of available IT load across 27.8k sqft of net technical area
- Wakefield: Edge 2 Wakefield offers 2.0 megawatts of available IT load across 6.7k sqft of net technical area
- Bridgend: Edge 3 Bridgend offers 1.8 megawatts of available IT load across 12.0k sqft of net technical area
- Chester: Edge 4 Chester offers 3.0 megawatts of available IT load across 54.9k sqft of net technical area
- Liverpool: Edge 5 Liverpool offers 3.0 megawatts of available IT load across 22.3k sqft of net technical area
- Rugby: Edge 6 Rugby offers 2.0 megawatts of available IT load across 5.0k sqft of net technical area
Proximity Data Centres offers its customers low-latency, fast connectivity, and low transit costs through its network of UK edge data centers. Specifically, Proximity has partnered with companies including ITS Technology Group, Next Connex, and Zayo, to deliver its connectivity services. As a result, the company enables its customers to move their data, applications, and content closer to end users.