Telefónica today announced an agreement with Asterion Industrial Partners, a Spain-based private equity firm, for the contribution of four data centers in Spain and Chile, currently owned by the Telefónica Group, to Nabiax. Specifically, two data centers are located in Spain (Madrid and Terrassa) and two are in Chile. Together, these facilities offer 9 megawatts of power capacity.

As part of Telefónica’s contribution of four additional data centers in Spain and Chile, Telefónica Infra will receive a 20% stake in Nabiax. Indeed, the remaining 80% ownership of Nabiax will be held by Asterion Industrial Partners and its co-investors. Following completion of this transaction, Nabiax’s portfolio will grow from 11 data centers (see below) to 15 facilities.

Telefónica will be the anchor tenant for the four new Nabiax facilities on an initial term of 10 years. Therefore, Telefónica will continue to provide and manage the services which it offers to its customers from these data centers. In turn, Telefónica maintains its direct relationship with its customers.

Finally, closing of the Telefónica and Asterion transaction will take place in two phases: i) Spain data centers and ii) Chile data centers.

Nabiax – Asterion and Telefónica Data Centers

Nabiax is a retail colocation provider with facilities across seven countries in Spain and Latin America. Specifically, the company operates in Spain, Argentina, Brazil, Chile, the United States (Miami), Mexico, and Peru.

Nabiax was formed in May 2019 when Telefónica agreed to sell a portfolio of 11 data centers, with 29 megawatts of power capacity, to Asterion Industrial Partners. In exchange, Asterion paid Telefónica €550m, equivalent to 18.3x EBITDA.

Prior to today’s announcement, Nabiax’s portfolio comprised 30 megawatts of power capacity and 260k+ sqft (24k+ sqm). Below are further details on each of Nabiax’s data centers:

  1. Alcalá (Spain) comprises 7.9 megawatts of power capacity, across 52k sqft (4.8k sqm) of area
  2. Julián Camarillo (Spain) comprises 2.9 megawatts of power capacity, across 19k sqft (1.8k sqm) of area
  3. Tamboré (Brazil) comprises 6.1 megawatts of power capacity, across 38k sqft (3.5k sqm) of area
  4. CIC (Brazil) comprises 0.7 megawatts of power capacity, across 6k sqft (0.6k sqm) of area
  5. Key Center (Miami, U.S.) comprises 3.2 megawatts of power capacity, across 34k sqft (3.2k sqm) of area
  6. Vélez (Argentina) comprises 1.7 megawatts of power capacity, across 19k sqft (1.8k sqm) of area
  7. Barracas (Argentina) comprises 1.1 megawatts of power capacity, across 23k sqft (2.1k sqm) of area
  8. Lince (Peru) comprises 1.2 megawatts of power capacity, across 13k sqft (1.2k sqm) of area
  9. Monterrico (Peru) comprises 0.9 megawatts of power capacity, across 10k sqft (0.9k sqm) of area
  10. Ixtlahuaca (Mexico) comprises 2.0 megawatts of power capacity, across 17k sqft (1.6k sqm) of area
  11. Paine (Chile) comprises 1.1 megawatts of power capacity, across 11k sqft (1.0k sqm) of area

Beyond its existing offering, Nabiax has the ability to scale-up to 180 megawatts of power capacity, through further build-outs. Finally, for full-year 2020, the company generated revenue of €46m.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here